Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Self tapping screws

In ,
typed:
On Dec 16, 8:38 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/16/2010 7:24 AM, notbob wrote:

A couple decades ago, I ran across a handfull of
self-tapping screws. They were like sheet metal screws,
but with skirted hex heads. These were about 1/2" long
and 1/4" dia. I'd seen them used with a special head on
a drill motor, it having a hex chuck that would ratchet
when the screw bottomed out. What amazed me about these
was the fact they where not only self-starting AND
self-tapping, but they where pretty damn hard. In
experimenting, I discovered they tapped and screwed into
an old BSA motorcycle frame like it was soft pine.

I now find myself in need of something like this and was
wondering just what, exactly, do I ask for when I go down
to the hardware store.

nb

Most guys in the trades call them Tek screws.

http://www.imperialinc.com/grp076.shtml

TDD

I just used some self-tapping screws for a project that I
bought at Lowes. They included
a rubber washer and a metal washer, already installed on
the screw. They go in using
a driver/drill. The rubber washer gives it some give and I
used them to fasten plastic
conduit clamps.

Those are usually used for metal roofing. The washer is to stop water.
They're actually OK anywhere else, but a little on the expensive side if not
really needed.

HTH,

Twayne`