Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Patching vs New "Sheet Rock"

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I do believe him, of course it is easier and cheaper to have a fresh
canvas to hang new sheetrock. However, I have to factor in the cost of
demolition and disposal, as well as resetting depth of electrical boxes
and recessed lights that will now protrude outside of the new 1/2"
sheetrock, as well as window sills and doors that would be impacted by
this. It seems to trade one headache with another. Cost and time
aside, the new sheetrock will look better, but the exterior walls will
be thinner, and less sound proofing.

You are thinking "inside the box".

I have demoed many a plaster wall and gone back with drywall. One need only
fur out the studs or joists to achieve the proper finished height. You can
buy 4x8 sheets of 1/4, 3/16, 3/8, 7/16 or 5/8 plywood or osb and run them
through a table saw to create a furring strip of the proper height. This is
just no big deal. They install really fast using a nail gun as they only
need to be tacked into place. The 1-5/8 drywall screw will go all the way
through to the stud behind.

The cost of the wood is far less than moving all the boxes and modifying the
jambs.

--
Colbyt