Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Self tapping screws

"notbob" -did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me wrote in
message
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me...

A couple decades ago, I ran across a handfull of self-tapping screws.
They were like sheet metal screws, but with skirted hex heads. These
were about 1/2" long and 1/4" dia. I'd seen them used with a special
head on a drill motor, it having a hex chuck that would ratchet when the
screw bottomed out. What amazed me about these was the fact they where
not only self-starting AND self-tapping, but they where pretty damn
hard. In experimenting, I discovered they tapped and screwed into an
old BSA motorcycle frame like it was soft pine.

I now find myself in need of something like this and was wondering just
what, exactly, do I ask for when I go down to the hardware store.

nb

TEK screws. Sold at Lowes, HD and Ace. Cheaper by the box of 100 but that
depends on how many you need.

I use the #6 x 1/2 to drill the hard coat on plaster. Cheaper and safer
than drill bits for the same job. Of course my price is based on a bag of
500 at one time so YMMV.

Colbyt