Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rikon 70-100 Mini Lathe

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:41:36 -0500, Mike Goodell wrote:

Any comments good bad or indifferent on this machine as a first lathe?

It's hard to beat for the money. Where I worked there were 3 Rikons and
3 equivalent Jets in the classroom that have been in use for classes for
over 5 years. They are all still running. Either are a good buy. I
liked the Rikons better because they had a 12" swing vs a 10" swing on
the Jet and the Rikon was easier to change belts on.

But in fairness to Jet they have since come out with a slightly larger
version with a 12" swing and they can be purchased (at higher cost) with
an electronic variable speed control.

For a little more money, take a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Intern...le-Maxi-Lathe/
dp/B002KHNLZC

That's what I bought and I'm more than satisfied. It'll delay the time
when you "just have to" have a full size lathe much more than either the
Rikon or the Jet. But if you don't know yet if you'll like turning, the
Rikon is the best bet.

Last time I looked I wasn't infallible so take the above as one man's
opinion :-).