Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Patching vs New "Sheet Rock"

"Dan Lanciani" ddl@danlan.*com wrote in message
In article ,
(MiamiCuse) writes:

| He said that in some rooms, where I asked him to patch some holes, that
it's
| cheaper and easier to gut and replace then to patch.

It's true. Putting up drywall from scratch is (at least for the pros) an
incredibly fast and efficient process. When I had cause to gut a small
room I was thinking of drywalling it myself but the quote was around what
I expected to spend for tools and materials. That said...

| The reason he said these are hard to patch, is because it is not typical
| sheet rock. In some areas he said I have sheet rock, then a "brown
coat",
| then plaster, with embeded wire mesh in them. He said it is a pain to
| patch, and difficult to patch perfectly.

I have this on my ceilings and several variations (mostly without the
metal)
on the walls. I like it a lot better than drywall. It has all the
advantages
of old-style plaster combined with the inherent regularity provided by the
drywall base. In particular it does not dent if you bump it with a hard
object. Unless I were gutting for some other reason I'd try to keep this
for the walls. I don't bump the ceiling often so I wouldn't mind drywall
there as much.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

It is called Plaster Board or Blue Board with Basecoat Plaster and Finish
Coat Plaster and it is probably the best you can get...Trying to patch it
with plaster is a PITA and VERY expensive and messy...