Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default boilers and insurance can we believe it?t

Tabby wrote:

I wouldnt remotely agree. If you buy insurance, even if you're lucky
enough to get an insurer that does what they should, you're then
paying average maintenance costs plus advertising costs plus employee
costs plus profit margin and all sorts of other issues that simply
don't apply when you pay for your own maintenance. Mug's game.

Had a call from the AA recently, initially to get my rating for
services provided. It then became marketing for their new
breakdown insurance. Seems that if you call them out, and work
is required that needs a garage, you are covered for £500, with
£25 excess (on up to 5 occasions), at a cost of about £70 per
year.

I gave them the usual response - if you can make a profit at it,
then I am better off putting the money in a savings account. The
guy wanted me to believe that the average user got back about
£300. Perhaps what he might have said more accurately was that it
was the average of those who claimed. When I expressed the
opinion that his figures did not support a business (managed to
stop myself saying "I'm out") he seemed incapable of
understanding this.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK