Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default boilers and insurance can we believe it?t

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:50:20 -0800 (PST), Tabby
wrote:

On Dec 15, 9:31*pm, "john lewis" wrote:
Talking to a man the other day who had spent years and years working for
british gas, but is now working elsewhere.

Do people here generally agree with what he told me?

That new boilers cost about 900 and a new main circuit board costs about
600 so its worth getting the 'call out' type insurance, to cover it, if it
goes wrong. *Of which he thinks Eion and Southern Electric are the best to
get. (he doesn't work for either of them).

I wouldnt remotely agree. If you buy insurance, even if you're lucky
enough to get an insurer that does what they should, you're then
paying average maintenance costs plus advertising costs plus employee
costs plus profit margin and all sorts of other issues that simply
don't apply when you pay for your own maintenance. Mug's game.

I find Worcestor-Bosch offer a decent service + insurance scheme,
although this is only for their own boilers.

One thing to bear in mind is how long can you manage without a working
boiler? WB will come out next day, and sometimes the same day if you
have a problem. Not bad for around £12 per month IIRC.

If the boiler does go wrong it is not always obvious where the fault
lies and I wouldn't want to pay out a lot of money on parts that I
don't need.
--
(\__/) M.