Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Outside Christmas LED Lights -- dull and weak....

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:48:50 -0500, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 12/13/2010 7:47 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:48:00 -0500, Brooklyn1Gravesend1 wrote:

I now use all LEDs; my electric bill
increase for the holiday season is barely noticeable,

Of course you ignore the cost of the LED strings.

The mini incandescents are particularly inefficient. About 40W or so/
100 string.

More like 25W.

Run that for a few weeks most all the time and you've easily got
$2/string. The incandescents were always a pain to keep them all going
and usually easier to throw away. IMHO, the advantage in cost and time
is LEDs.

What exactly does "a few weeks most of the time" mean? 25W, five hours a day
for a month costs about thirty-five cents.

Now, I don't like the larger c9 or so LED lamps as it is just one
little light in a shell (what I've seen). The hot lamps are some power
gluttons though and storage was always more hassle. Mine rarely get used
as a result.

I bought about $150 wroth of those two years ago. *UGLY*. I threw them away
when I took them off the house, and bought thirty, or so, sets of incandescent
lights for 1/5 what I paid for the LED strings.

but most importantly LEDs are far safer (no heat).

The minis (hot lamps) are pretty harmless, the larger sizes require
caution. The cause of many many a house fire at one time.

Ya gotta talk apples to apples.

I'm not sad to see the mini incs fading away. The others I'm more
sentimental over. Efficiency isn't everything. XMAS is all about
throwing money away, after all. Up to a limit.

Except they're not fading away at all. Economics isn't with LEDs, at least
not yet.