Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Unintended asymetric turning

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 06:56:03 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:48:57 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

snip-

If you're interested in reading a document I prepared years ago,
pertaining
to the use of soft jaws, please ask and I'll provide a link. Not
promoting
myself here, just trying to share what I learned in my years of using soft
jaws.

I am very much interested.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Here's the link.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...hp?f=44&t=4266

There's a few pictures included, which you may not be able to view unless
you're a registered reader. We used to allow open registration, but Marty
changed board policy a few years ago to deter spamming.

Should you attempt to register, do provide the reasons you'd like access to
the board. Marty approves all registrations.

Good luck! I think you'll find the thread very enlightening.

Thank you. Read and bookmarked. Very helpful not just for the
specifics of soft jaws but also for the general principles.

I re-read all the posts in this thread as well as a thread on another
forum dealing with a similar problem and came up with an idea which:
1) Might solve the problem to some extent
2) Will not tax my limited skills
3) Will not tax my bank account

Following the principles of the soft jaws and the step collet I
thought of attaching a 5/8"+ thick aluminum plate to one of my
faceplates, turn it true and face it. Then turn a recess in the face
of this plate with the ID=OD of my work piece (well, a slip fit).
Clean the inside of the recess as well as the work piece and attach
the work piece inside this recess with double sided sticky tape. This
should allow boring ID and facing of one side of the work piece. If
all my future pieces are turned to exactly the same OD and the face
plate-aluminum plate assembly is kept intact this setup should allow
repeat work.

To be honest I think it was George McDufy who touched on this solution
but did not expand on it.

Meanwhile I shall explore the possibilities of a 5" chuck with
two-component jaws.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC