Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default leaving conductors exposed

On Dec 15, 6:52*pm, mike wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
As to the risk here, I routinely touch both clips of the 1-amp 12 volt
battery charger I have. I havent' done that with the 8 amp charger,
probably because the phrase "8 amp" scares me, but it shoudln't
and tomorrow I will, *I'll even find some alcohol to spark in. *If I

don't
post back, it means my house burned down and took my computer
and me with it.

It only takes a few milliamps to kill you. Assuming the current
has a path to a vital organ, like the heart.

It takes about 100mA through the heart to kill you.

Guys, a battery charger is not a constant-current device! It provides only
the current determined by its charging voltage (which I assume starts at
around 14V) and your skin resistance, which even when your hands are wet, is
no lower than a few thousand ohms.

YOU CANNOT BE ELCTROCUTED BY THE OUTPUT OF A CAR-BATTERY CHARGER.

That statement suggests a misguided interpretation of "certainty".
I doubt you've considered ALL possibilities.
"unlikely" might be a better word than "cannot" for use in that
sentence.- Hide quoted text -

Can you illustrate a real life situation where a 12V battery
electrocutes a human being? I posted a skin resistance table that
makes that possibility higly unlikely.