David Hall

Default OT - Is this representative of US public opinion? UK Newspaper Front Page

Someone please explain what government spending is "mandatory". I
don't remember any specific government programs or spending being
delineated in the Constitution. I do believe that it is ALL
discreationary - certainly Social Security and Medicare is. I do
however believe that many a politician refers to welfare programs for
the "poor" as "entitlements" and I know that they all see corporate
welfare as an "entitlement" in order to keep their jobs.

Dave Hall

snipped From the US Constitution Section 8 first paragraph

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties,
Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common
Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties,
Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

IMHO then, anything the government spends money for needs to fall under
these guidelines which have gotten pretty damn broadly interpreted over
the last 225 years.

Allen
Catonsville, MD

Yes, I understand that the Constitution ALLOWS the gov't to spend money on
certain activities. However, without getting into what is allowed vs. what is
not allowed, I want to know what is MANDATORY. The prior poster said that 50%+
of federal spending was mandatory and only 19% discreationary.

Dave Hall