Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT a bit - Propane prices

Dean Hoffman wrote in
:

harry wrote:

If you have a propane tank and a large petrol vehicle(s), you could
consider getting the vehicle converted to run on propane. Very common
here in the UK. Engines run really sweet on propane. Start a lot
easier too.
Dunno if feasible in the US.

Feasible yes. Practical? Probably not for many people.
I live in a rural area. Some farmers I know did run their pickups
on propane. They also use propane for grain drying and to run
irrigation power units. A very few also had propane burning farm
tractors years ago. That didn't catch on due in part to the
inconvenience of propane compared to gasoline or diesel fuel.

how does an multi-port electronic fuel injected motor convert to propane?
Do they have gaseous injectors that can be controlled by a reprogrammed
ECU? so they retain the emissions control mandated in the US.

or does the conversion forgo all that electronics and go back to
uncontrolled carburetion?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik