Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default San Bruno Pipeline Accident Update

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 12/15/2010 10:18 AM, Jim Stewart wrote:

I changed hundreds of split-rim logging truck tires in my misguided
youth...

My first truck had split rims originally and I changed my first set
of tires myself. Dad showed me how and I didn't think it was any big
deal. When he showed me how to insure the rim lock was seated, I
didn't question it at all, just followed his example and had no
problems.

Yup, we had just a few rules, make sure the
rim wasn't bent and that it seated properly,
use a clip-on air chuck and then step back a few
steps as it filled. We never had a problem.

But boy, when years later I read about a guy decapitated from a split
rim coming apart, it sure sent a chill up my spine! Yeah, I was
right on top of those suckers when airing them up...

I learned from my uncle and he had been a
tire man for a good 20 years. He was pretty
clear on stepping back as the tire filled.