Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Keyhole (mortice) draught (rubber) excluder/stopper (for mortice lock)??

On Dec 15, 1:53*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

There is an odd belief that modern furniture is fire proof.
Its actually flame resistant.

Most of mine isn't (and as someone who sells upholstered furniture
commercially, yes I know the difference). I don't smoke, if I do set
the house on fire it's far more likely to be the carpet with a spark
from the fireplace than a fag down the furniture.

The real difference between "Is this sofa going to kill you very
quickly or not" is the toxicity of the smoke it produces. It's not the
reason I don't have any PU foam furniture, but all the same I'm not
unhappy that I don't (actually I do - I found one small ex-office
chair).

It certainly burns in the right circumstances and gives out toxic smoke.

Rubbberised horsehair and feathers are highly unpleasant, they're even
toxic in concentration, but they're nowhere like the toxicity at low
concentrations thay you have from the cyanides in PU smoke. This is
the biggie.

What he means is he can try and put it out.

If I can't put it out, I'll get a bigger extinguisher. If that doesn't
put it out, I'll use the BCF. If the BCF doesn't put it out, my
biggest hazard is then the fumes from that, no longer the fire.

They do say a fire blanket can be useful to smother chip pan fires,

Having used them four times (two of these within minutes, on the same
pan) I wouldn't bother again and would use an extinguisher.

I personally don't have a chip pan

For once I'd agree with you. There's no excuse for a chip pan. If you
want chips, use a thermostatic self-contained fryer.

Or get an Actifry, and then you really can test out your fire
precautions.

I will stick with the idea of getting out fast and letting the insurance
company worry about the damage.

That's OK Dennis, Nanny will make it all better.