Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Patching vs New "Sheet Rock"

In article , (MiamiCuse) writes:

| He said that in some rooms, where I asked him to patch some holes, that it's
| cheaper and easier to gut and replace then to patch.

It's true. Putting up drywall from scratch is (at least for the pros) an
incredibly fast and efficient process. When I had cause to gut a small
room I was thinking of drywalling it myself but the quote was around what
I expected to spend for tools and materials. That said...

| The reason he said these are hard to patch, is because it is not typical
| sheet rock. In some areas he said I have sheet rock, then a "brown coat",
| then plaster, with embeded wire mesh in them. He said it is a pain to
| patch, and difficult to patch perfectly.

I have this on my ceilings and several variations (mostly without the metal)
on the walls. I like it a lot better than drywall. It has all the advantages
of old-style plaster combined with the inherent regularity provided by the
drywall base. In particular it does not dent if you bump it with a hard
object. Unless I were gutting for some other reason I'd try to keep this
for the walls. I don't bump the ceiling often so I wouldn't mind drywall
there as much.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com