Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ryobi battery pack disassembly?

On 12/14/2010 8:55 PM, wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:36 pm, wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I have several 18v Ryobi tools and battery packs, including one of the
lower-capacity Li-Ion ones that shows as fully charged in the charger
but will not operate a tool and shows no voltage across the "supply
terminals" (there are separate charging contacts). It seems likely
that there is an internal broken connection between the battery and
the "supply terminals" that should be easy to fix if I can get the
case apart.
But that is the problem: I have removed 4 Security-Torx screws in the
bottom and one in the "plug" part that goes up into the handle of the
tool, but the case still will not come apart. I can pry the halves
apart a small amount at either end, but they seem to be held firmly
together in the middle. There do not seem to be any screws hidden by the
label
on the bottom

Has anyone managed to take one of these things apart? If so, how?

If you want to rebuild your own battery pack, here's a CD (capacitive
discharge) welder you can build yourself. It's used for welding the
individual cells together.

http://ledhacks.com/power/battery_tab_welder.htm- Hide quoted text -

All of these issues could be forever ended just by a federal law, all
battery packs MUST have easily replaceabe cells....

Its sensibile, good for the environment, decreases trash, and would
save the owner money...

a win win for everyone

DON"T EVER SAY THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW! Do you have any idea of the
horrors that such a law could bring to this country? Some Republicrat
or Demican will add some weird crap to the bill requiring stool samples
before you can board a plane or all home appliances must be 100%
efficient within a few years or you will have to fill out reams of
paperwork in order to buy batteries for your flashlight because the
batteries which will be required to have serial numbers for tracking
purposes due to a possible hazard to the environment. The end is near!

TDD