Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Patching vs New "Sheet Rock"

On Dec 14, 6:19*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

So in a null shell, he is recommending that I demolish ALL my sheet rock -
all walls, all ceilings instead of dealing with a mix of old and new.

This week, I started to look at demolishing one room's ceiling, and
immediately ran into problems. *Some sheetrock in the ceiling seem to span
into other rooms. *For example, one interior wall's top plate actually is
below the sheetrock, meaning the sheetrock is sandwiched between the top
plate and the bottom of the joist. *So to take that ceiling down, I have to
make a cut on both sides of the top plate to free the sheetrock. *This is a
mess. *Using a grinder with a diamond blade to cut through this
sheetrock/brown coat/plaster/wire mesh is slow and dusty. *I thought framing
of the walls is done before sheetrock? *How can sheetrock be on top of the
top plate?

OMG, ROFL...

Dude, this is another one of your bone head posts that leads anyone
with
actual remodeling and construction experience to question whether or
not
you should even touch tools...

It is 10 times easier to completely sheetrock bare walls and ceilings
than
it is to patch and paste and mud joints and scratch coat to end up
with
as flat as can be ceilings and walls when you are done... It is a lot
of
artful labor to blend in older walls with new work and is better done
with
one clean boundary joint in mind rather than a series of patches...

As to your removal method being dusty and slow, I would suggest that
you are not doing it properly and require at least one helper to
assist
your demo work by using a vacuum hose positioned close to where your
cutting tool is being used to cut down on the dust... You could demo
that stuff quicker with the right demo tools than making perfectly
square
cuts in something which you could break out close to the wall and then
hammer it from one side to pop out on the other...

In this case since you are again not using the proper tools or
techniques
and are out of your elements, this might be something you want to
contract out to someone good at doing demo... Removing the remaining
40% of the interior sheetrock in a home should not take days upon
days...

~~ Evan