Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
George George is offline

Default OT Clock synchronization

On 12/14/2010 4:44 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I really have no need to know the exact second of time. I do,
however, often wish electronic clocks could automatically set
themselves to an accuracy of a minute or so. I am sure I am not the
first to be unconvinced by having to reset the clock on my answering
machine or coffee maker after a power outage. I would also be nice if
my new camera could get the correct time/date from it's initial
charge.

Because it is not already being done, there must be more to it than
meets the eye. It seems like it would be trivial to just transmit the
time/date code over the power lines. Anything plugged in should
become automatically set. Can someone enlighten me on why this
doesn't already happen?

Ok.........I know the answer. Cost. It is always about money, isn't
it?

Its a pretty common feature in devices anymore. Even my 5 year old low
end weather station has a receiver that listens to WWVB and gets very
accurate time and additional stuff like automatic DST changes since they
set a flag when we transition to DST.

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwvb.cfm

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/radioclocks.cfm

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol.../dp/B00077AA4W