Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Help.... VCR not seeing the remotes...???

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:54:17 -0800, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

Hmmm. What about compact fluuorescents?

They're rather notorious for creating IR interference which can block
IR remotes. If the CFL's internal switching duty cycle happens to
come close, in frequency, to the IR pulse frequency used by your IR
remote control, you've got a real problem (desense and false
triggering are the usual symptoms).

The effect is often brand- and model-specific, for both the CFL and
the equipment being interfered with. Many (most) combinations get
along just fine, but some combinations will give you massive headaches.

Thanks. Then I'll change bulbs and brands if it gets to be a
nuisance. (Even when I'm not using the box, most of the time, the
light goes on when this is happening, so I"ll know.)

It's less likely now, because I got the remote from the DVDR working
in the office now, where this has happened. I was going to post
especially about it, after I went back and found who recommended
Powermid pyramids. Thanks to William Sommerwerck too. I got one and
it works great. I'm going to buy for other rooms next.

(I knew about Powermid, but it has competitors. I needed a real
endorsement to get me to make up my mind.)