Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Elizabeth Edwards Funeral Protest

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:15:16 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"Disbelief" wrote in message ...

Not a patch on Lennon's song - and if there were no religion, the world
would be a damn site better place. Too many have died, been maimed,
deprived of food or cast out of society in the name of religion - and
usually by preachers of it who are either hypocrites or bigots or both.

A fellow my wife and I know lost everything to Hurricane Katrina, his house
had six feet of water in it. He didn't even see anyone from FEMA for
months, but he and his neighbors were fed and housed for the most part by
church groups, many of them had come hundreds or even thousands of miles to
help. So while I agree that religion has been the source of a lot of strife
over the centuries, that doesn't mean that no good has ever come of it.
Religion is no different from any other aspect of human society, it can be a
force for good or ill, it all depends on how people use it.

Please remember that one does not have to go to church, nor preach to
natives to have a good heart, to share their bounty, or to be nice to
people. Religion gets in the way of that more than you think, driving
away generous people who don't want to put up with the horrible
bigotry and animosity of churchgoers of all races and religions.

I'm totally against organized religion yet I gave $6 to a lady and her
daughter who approached me as I left the market yesterday. They needed
gas to get to Portland.

Religious folks can keep their witch burnings, Crusades, Westboros,
etc.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.