Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default OT a bit - Propane prices

Jules Richardson wrote:

It's frustrating how much the prices do fluctuate though, even in the
same region - I hate playing the "gamble on when best to buy" game. About
half of our house heating is electric baseboard, and prices for that are
a lot more stable (and generally competitive with propane costs for the
season)

A few years ago, the breakeven between electricity and propane for heat in this
area was about $2/gal. Summer and fall fills were running between $1.75 and
$1.85, deep winter fills were peaking around $2.40/gal, delivered on an autro
fill contract.

In the last couple of years the local electricity prices have jumped up about
25%, so the breakeven is a lot higher now. There are web based calculators
around that compute the actual number.

I've debated replacing my 500 gal tank that needs 3-4 refills a year with a 1000
gal tank, but the savings for my relatively low use hasn't been enough to get me
to do it.