Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Help.... VCR not seeing the remotes...???

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:46:42 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Another possibility is interference, possibly from
an infrared light source.

Fluorescent lamps put out a lot of infrared, and I actually had one that
occasionally changed channels on a Sony VCR. Make sure all fluorescent lamps
are turned off.

Have you added any new incandescent lamps? A bright IR source will reduce
the receiver's sensitivity to the remote's commands.

Hmmm. What about compact fluuorescents? Not my vcr, but my digital
to analog converter goes "on" once every 2 or 4 weeks, but it's not
really on. The light on the box is on, but no televiion is coming out
of the wire. And when I use the remote for it to try to turn it off,
it doesn't go off.

I have to unplug it from the wall, and then plug it in again, and
still the light is on, but it seems 5 or 10 seconds after that the
light goes off. Then I can turn it on with the remote, and off again.
(There is no switch on the box itself.)

So it seems to have more problems than just turning on for no apparent
reason, but do you think the CFL or two in ceiling fixture could be
doing this?

I"m not trying to hijack the thread. I think these are related.