Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser John Keiser is offline

Default Power surges and modern electronics.

Follow up in case anyone else has this problem:
While unplugging the TV seemed to restore operation, the next morning the
screen was all pink but the menu functioned fine. Toggling "Factory Reset"
seems to have done the trick permanently.
"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:Pt2dndwbSd3dwp_QnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
I am in Hawaii where power surges are unfortunately common. Having lost
several PC power supplies, I now use line conditioning battery backup units
to protect my PCs.
Several months ago I salvaged a Westington flat screen [LTV-32w6 HD] that
had been abandoned because the tuner failed. As the tuner is part of the
motherboard I didn't fix it was easier to use an external VCR as the
tuner. TV functions fine. I assume the tuner died in a power surge.
Yesterday, the power failed and I awoke to find that the TV had turned
itself on but no sound. Toggling mute and adding external speakers did
not work. I assumed the worst but guessed that maybe this was a
microprocessor locked into mute. I unplugged the set and tried again
after 15 minutes. Sound was restored. Whew!
I wonder how many consumers would be so lucky? Is this type of
sensitivity common? [I have a nice old 32inch CRT that has been immmune
from these problems and provides a great picture.] I'll probably add a
line conditioner, but, really, are consumers expected to be that cautious?