Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Pavillion disk read failure

root wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't see the stratus post:

D Yuniskis wrote:
wrote:
Does a quick cycling of power (completely removed before
being restored) give you another "3 hours" of use? Or,
does the problem come back "quickly" (i.e., if it
is thermal, it should come back quickly; if it is a
software problem, it could take 3 more hours for a
memory leak, etc. to manifest)

No, quick power cycle gives nothing. The system won't
boot up at all. After a few minutes of OFF, the system
will run a few minutes. The first failure followed
a fresh install. I took a nap and came back after
a couple of hours and the system wouldn't read the
disk. Subsequent failures happened during attempts
to copy several tens of Gb of files from a backup
disk to the fresh install. After a couple of hours
(or more) the copies would result in i/o error and
then the system was dead.

Agreed on caps as I replace lots of them. Thing is, bad caps usually
work better (less bad) when warmed up. I just tossed the Samsung DLP
set because of a thermal problem. Nearly all the caps were new and the
few that remained tested good. It too would run several hours before
quitting.

Note that I asked for an assessment of what the circumstances
leading up to -- and subsequent to -- the crash. I.e., it may
not be "heat" but, rather, *what* the machine was doing (and had
*been* doing) prior to the crash.

I hope I have answered your question.

I've had machines that wouldn't handle a "fresh install"
but would run fine if you installed a prebuilt disk in them.
Other machines ran fine until *lots* of memory was needed.
etc.

Blindly chasing heat (or caps or ... ) without a handle
on a *reproducible* crash scenario is just futility...

The machine is only one year old. All the caps look
brand new, not a bulge among them. I've run into
a failure of a bridge chip before with almost
identical symptoms, although the older bridge chip
shut down much faster than this one. In the case
of the older bridge chip, the heat sink was held
in place by double sided sticky tape. After a while
the tape degraded and the heat sink wasn't firmly
attached to the chip.

A lot of things can cause problems, starting with a marginal power
supply.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!