Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill Press Question: drilling into tall pieces.

In article 885def19-1608-412c-9bf4-26ed0eedae08
@v17g2000yqv.googlegroups.com, says...

On Dec 12, 2:16*pm, BrianSiano wrote:
There's a project I have in mind that requires some precise and
regular drilling, so it may be time to buy a drill press. I'd prefer
to get a small benchtop model, but I have a problem.

The project requires drilling pilot holes into the ends of boards that
are roughly 30" long. You can see that this can be a problem even with
a floor drill press.

Is there a way to get around this problem? Perhaps a benchtop drill
press whose top can swivel away from the base?

Rip the boards in half. Plow 1/16" deep grooves down the edges
of each half, then glue back together. Drill the actual pilot
holes with an auger, letting the grooves guide the bit. You
can use a regular hand drill, no need to buy another machine
just yet.

Lot of work to go through.

Simpler solution, use the drill press to drill three equidistant holes
in a stick of wood. Put dowels in the two on the ends. Straddle the
board with the dowels and the third hole will be centered and
perpendicular (assuming you did a good of making the thing).

Or cut off a piece the lumber you're working with, drill guide holes in
it using the drill press, then glue/screw/clamp/otherwise_attach blocks
all around and slip the resulting assembly over the end of the piece
that is to have the pilot holes and drill them through the guide holes.

Or just go down to Harbor Fright and drop 13 bucks on a dowel jig. Make
sure to adjust the centering on it--as they come out of the box they're
usually misaligned--so are the ones from Woodcraft that seem to be the
same item for several times the price.