Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default What to do after oil stain?

On Dec 12, 2:31*am, mm wrote:
Should I wipe on a coat of linseed oil after oil-staining new bare
wood?

If I don't paint it, and don't need a great finish, I usually "finish"
wood one of two ways:

1) Linseed oil wiped on and wiped off, which brings out the grain and
leaves a nice finish. *Not as nice as varnish or polyurethane, but
nice enough.

OR

2) I used latex stain, if I want more color than linseed oil will
give. * Depending on what it's used for, that's all I do, or I put
varnish or polyusethane on it.

This time I have a can of oil stain of a nice shade, different from my
usual, and I think I want to use it.

Will another coat of linseed oil accomplish anything good? *Or will it
just make a mess? * Is the stain all I need?

Thanks.

BTW, Red Devil doesn't seem to make stain anymore, based on its
webpage. *Boohoo. *

BTW2, Why is the 1x6x8' board I bought made in Sweden? *Don't we have
trees in the US?

Used tung oil over stain on my last fancy project and it was nicely
light colored. Tests the other day on some very old salvaged pine
wound up a beautiful golden hue. Curing time is probably slower than
BLO, but subjectively seems less soft. Worth an experiment if you're
so inclined.

Check over at rec. woodworking for a consensus on best stains. Cabot
is given good marks, maybe others.

Joe