Bay Area Dave

Default Who said Marples chisels are any good???

I wasn't intending to chop deep mortises without getting dedicated
mortising chisels, but what I'm trying to explain in this thread is that
by cutting into red oak four times less than 3/16" deep, for testing the
chisel, I found the edge destroyed. my Sears did the same thing and
came away none the worse for wear. I don't intended to use a beveled
edge chisel to chop inch deep mortises, but I should be able to tap the
chisel into the wood to "mark" it.

Thanks for the snide comment.

I didn't say I had the Bluechip chisels. they are Protouch.

Again, you aren't reading my posts closely. I know, I know, my posts
don't deserve any attention...

dave

Conan The Librarian wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I didn't use a hammer, Chuck. You aren't reading my posts very
closely, are you?

I give them them as much attention as they deserve. (And in this
case, sadly, a lot more.)

In one sentence you mentioned that they were supposed to be able to
withstand mallet and hammer blows. In the next sentence you talked
about chopping hinge mortises.

Can you see how someone might logically infer that the two were related?

OK, fine ... you win. All Blue Chips are a piece of crap (despite my
experiences to the contrary). And you don't need mortising chisels to
chop mortises. And you should be able to do everything from opening
paintcans to paring a paper thin slice of endgrain with the same chisel.
And it should never get dull or chip. And you should be able to buy it
for less than $20. Happy now?

Chuck Vance