Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What to do after oil stain?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:14:20 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote
This time I have a can of oil stain of a nice shade, different from my
usual, and I think I want to use it.

Will another coat of linseed oil accomplish anything good? Or will it
just make a mess? Is the stain all I need?

Thanks.

I never used latex stain. Over oil stain, I'd put a couple of coats of BLO
and leave it cure for a week or so. How I finish depends on the use of the
item. You don't "need" more than stain for appearance though.

Well, for this simple thing, maybe one coat of BLO. I'll see. I just
didn't want to start on this without knowing app. where I could go or
where I'd be going, and I couldn't find a web page that talked about
it.

More oil
will give some measure of protection and build a sheen, but never give a
high gloss.

Right. That's fine.

One of my favorite finishing methods is:
polyurethane cut 25% with mineral spirits
sand
Polyurethane straight
sand with 220
Polyurethane straight
sand with 320
Polyurethane straight
let it cure for 3 weeks
sand with 600
rub with pumice
rub with rottenstone
wax

Wow.

Time consuming, but gives a fantastic finish that does not have that plastic
look you get with poly.

I agree. I don't like the plastic look with poly. I also noticed
that it wore off my floor after a few years. I don't know how floors
were finished before poly, but it never happened in the other rooms in
my 1930 apartment (It could be redone without it showing what was old
and what was new, but still.)

This time, it's just a board to keep things from getting lost under
the bed. After several years of not looking very hard, I found things
3 feet from the edge of the bed.

I hate to do this, because my feet stick out when I walk. Like ducks
or something, and I need the space under the bed for my feet, but it's
got to be done.