Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default How to mount encoder on the Bridgeport spindle?

Wayne C. Gramlich wrote:

Can EMC2 keep up with 500ct at 5000rpm? I know tapping does not
occur at that speed.

Can't say for every user's setup. The encoder counter Iggy is using is
my PPMC,
which clocks at one megaHertz, so it should reliably count pretty close
to 500,000
counts/second. 500 counts/rev * 5000 RPM / 60 = 41667 counts/second, so
no sweat. even if it was a 500 CYCLE/rev encoder, giving 2000 counts/rev,
that would be only 166,667 counts/second, so still no problem.

I don't know what hardware assist Karl is using, but at 42K
counts/second, a hardware
encoder counter would be a good idea, it is at the upper limit of
software encoder
counting.

Jon