Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DRO - Shooting star scales Q

I have one - for maybe 10 years now - on my 11" Sheldon 11-44 lathe.

It is nice when boring or turning down a length.

I saw a 24" caliper with ?sps? cable to computer.
It was on a massive Industrial drill press. Creative some machinists are.
Martin

On 12/8/2010 1:25 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
I have a Shooting Star DRO setup that someone has tried to mount to a
minilathe, so the long scale is cut down. I need to use it with my
millrite so need a longer scale. This uses a fine-tooth rack that the
encoder reads. Shooting Star wants $100 for a 48" length of this rack,
plus $35 shipping. Seems high, but maybe that's the going price. Is
there an alternate source that might be cheaper?

Followup - are there other scales that can be used with this head?
The cables terminate in RJ11 or RJ12 clips at the DRO readout head.

Rex