Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Power surges and modern electronics.

Hi William,

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I had one here -- but it always kept losing signal. So, you
get a false sense of security *thinking* it is telling the correct
time -- only to discover it wasn't. I guess they are sensitive to
where they are located/oriented. Given how "unattractive" this
one was (think: functional not decorative), the choices for where
it could acceptably be sited were limited. So, it got relocated --
to the trash. :

Such clocks are best kept away from computers and other sources of EMI/RFI.
Once you find a clean spot, you should be okay.

grin I doubt there are any such spots in this house! :-/

Those with LCDs usually have an indicator that shows whether the clock has
been recently resynched.

This had "hands". I guess driven by a little stepper motor.
As I said, the minute hand would race around as if it was a
second hand when it was "setting" the clock (I suspect it
only gets feedback from the "o'clock" (straight up) position.
So, it runs the minute hand to that position, then counts
"steps" from there to get to desired position.