Bay Area Dave

Default Who said Marples chisels are any good???

guess you didn't read the insert that came with your Protouch?

dave

wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

No they weren't mortising chisels. But they have a metal top, mentioned
on the package as being able to withstand mallet blows and the
"occasional" hammer blow! Besides, if I were to want to make a hinge
mortise, I can't believe I need to use a beefy mortising chisel instead
of a bench chisel.

Dave, I don't usually come in on these discussions, but this time I
gotta. I've got some Blue Chips - they work fine as paring chisels.
I've got some Pro-touches, they're for beating on stuff with, not the
same thing at all. I've got one Sorby mortise chisel, a Keen Kutter
corner chisel and a handful of old mortise chisels. Each one is for a
different purpose. I'm glad that your old Stanley bench chisels will
work as mortise chisels, but it isn't their purpose in life. Why not
use the right tools, you'll be less upset with the results.
Dave in Fairfax