Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation between garage and living space above

"jamesgangnc" wrote
Or just use foam board attached to the bottom of the joists. Don't
forget, if you have living space above, you need 5/8 firestop rock or
similar fire-rated material as a fire break.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Holding the insulation up while attaching foam board presents the same
problem as holding it up while installing wallboard.

I'm thinking maybe I'll use string and staple the string across the
joists after I put a batt up. Not any different amount of work from
stapling the batt paper. If I cut a couple dozen pieces of string the
width of the space I can just let them hang as I install batts and
staple the string to the next joist.

I meant foam board in lieu of insulation batts. A few dabs of
construction adhesive on the bottom of the joists will hold them in
place long enough to get the screwed-up rock up under it to hold it in
place long-term.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I'd still need to hold the insulation batts up while putting up the
foamboard. You are just making the job more complicated.

How is it making more work if you no longer need the insulation batts? I
think you misunderstand him. You can cut the foam board for a snug fit and
have it stay in place with no mechanical fasteners at all. You can us it
alone or you can use it in addition to the batts and hold them with the
board.

I think you are looking for a simple solution but fail to see it when
offered. You have a pre-conceived notion that it it going to be difficult
unless it is done the incorrect way you asked about the first time. Sorry,
we will not give the "seal of approval" to the wrong methods.