Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default How to mount encoder on the Bridgeport spindle?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:44:10 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:21:33 -0600, Ignoramus23245
wrote:

Karl, this is my $64,000 question, what expanding arrangement did you
use?

I spent several hours with what I thought would work well, a rubber
plug with a bolt inside, but it was extremely eccentric.

So I am looking for better accuracy.

This is what I made for a stop to fit inside my collet closer tube.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...ColletStop.pdf

The 10-32 screw clamps onto a 1/2" rod, the 1/4-20 expands the 1.100
diameter inside the closer tube. Substitute the encoder shaft and
inside dia of the BP shaft for those dimensions and you should be
good.

IIRC, my unit is just like Ned's. Pretty standard way to expand clamp
something.

Looks like you found another way, based on another part of this
thread.

Karl