Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How did we ever do it that way?

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

One of my first decent size jobs included multiple penetrations of
concrete
walls to run conduit for data and alarm cable between buildings. I
remember
standing there on my ladder with a 1" star drill and a 4 pound hammer for
2
days making holes, because when I went to the store I had just enough
money
in my pocket for the ladder. I had cramps in my hands and arms after the
first day and had to force myself to go back the 2nd.

Now I couldn't even imagine taking on a job like that without my 1"
Milwaukee spline drive rotary hammer. (that hammer cost more than ten
ladders)

I bet your drill didn't even have that rubber hand saver on it.

I remember reading a book on building the railroad about how one guy would
hold the star
drill and the other one would swing a sledge. Could you imagine putting
your trust in
someone like that?

Wes

Depends on the guys and their experience. I traveled with the carnival in
1985 and 1987. We used to drive 3 foot tent stakes that way. Two guys
would start the pattern while a third guy would hold the stake. When it was
started he would step back, pick up his hammer, and join in. Three guys
with ten pound hammers will sink a 3' tent stake pretty quick. ting...
ting... ting... ting... Its not even very demanding because you just give
the hammer a little extra momentum and let it fall. I think I only ever saw
a guy get smacked one time. He moved the stake after the first swing
started down.

And... no... I didn't have a rubber hand saver. I did smack myself a couple
time (not horribly) before I got my rhythm .