Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Questions on new gas furnace and AC

On 12/10/2010 9:20 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Dec 10, 6:26 pm, Steve wrote:
On 12/10/2010 4:33 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:14 pm, Steve wrote:
On 12/10/2010 9:45 AM, wrote:

Going through the quote process for my new furnace and AC and came up
with two questions:

1 - Are new refrigerant lines required or recommended? The existing
system is 26 years old, still working
no burned out compressor, etc. One company says they have to be
replaced, other I didn't talk with
on that specific subject, but their quote calls out flushing and re-
using the existing ones.

2 - The new furnace will be direct vent, so it leaves the gas water
heater orphaned on the existing chimney that was shared with the gas
furnace. Is a chimney liner required or recommended? Chimney is
clay flue lined, most of chimney is entirely within the house, except
the last 5 ft or so which is in a wood siding chase above the roof
line. Don't have the exact measurements of the flue without going on
the roof, but guessing it's about 9 X 6 or so. Again, one company
says must do, the other says not needed.

I can answer only #2, because i've ran into this exact situation 3 times
now. The answer is to have a liner installed. The clay flue will never
run hot enough to stay dry, and much caustic condensation will run back
down it. My HVAC man recommends a 4" liner, properly capped on top,
hooked to b-vent pipe to within a couple feet of the water heater. This
minimizes condensation as much as possible.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a b-vent?

The regular ol' double wall vent pipe.

http://tinyurl.com/24b6axa

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

OK - But how does that translate to b-vent??

That's what the **** is called! What part don't you understand?

--
Steve Barker