Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power surges and modern electronics.

How many VCR's blink 12:00? Do you have to be a
rocket scientist to set the clock on a VCR???

In some cases, yes. Some had setting procedures that
went beyond unbelievable.

I don't think that applies to anything manufactured
in the last 20 years... :

Perhaps. But I've seen them.

Some years ago VCRs were redesigned to, at turn-on, scan the broadcast band
for a station with an embedded time code, and set the clock. These were
usually NPR stations.

Finally, too many timepieces in a home ends up relegating most
of them to "un-maintained" -- how many of us have *a* clock
that we consider The Authority in our homes (i.e., we expect
some amount of error in all the others -- intentional or
otherwise).

I do. I have two atomic clocks.