Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Oil tank alarms

On Dec 11, 10:03*am, "Matt" wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 10, 10:51 pm, "Matt" wrote:
Gel wrote:
On Dec 10, 9:15 pm, "Matt" wrote:
Anyone got on advice on a decent oil tank alarm please? Must be
easy to fit and tamper proof (and, assuming it's wireless, not
possible to block the signal to the receiver, etc).

--

Try here
http://www.boilerjuice.com/shop/cat/...-security.html

Thanks. I think a lock might just cause more problems as any thieves
will just drill a hole in the side and syphon off the contents.
What's needed is an alarm like the Watchman but which also has a
tamper proof mechnism so it can't simply be removed or somehow
disabled.

--

I've got a Watchman-sonic tank level monitor, which works perfectly.

Seems they do a similar alarm system as well:

http://www.sensor-systems.com/produc...ion.html#Alarm

I was looking at the Watchman - looks good, but is it tamper proof? I
mean what's to stop some enterprising thief from unscrewing it, so
preventing it from sending an alarm to the receiver?

Or, for that matter, somehow shielding it so that it can't send an
alarm to the receiver?
--

Unless he was Fingers McFingers, the ace safe-cracker - if he'd
unscrewed it, the distance between the sensor and surface (usually the

(I tried this with my tank-level sensor when I was setting it up,
varying the distance above the table-top, and checking the display -
to make sure they'd paired properly).

OTOH most oil-tank oil thieves are probably mindless thugs that
wouldn't give a f*** about an alarm - unless someone scary is right
there to take some enforcement action.

As always - a dog with great big gnashy teeth is the best protection.

Maybe you can teach him to bark out the oil level.

Another approach would be to rig up motion sensors near the tank, so
they get the sirens and lights if they shouldn't be near there.