Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default Questions on new gas furnace and AC

wrote in message

Going through the quote process for my new furnace and AC and came up
with two questions:

1 - Are new refrigerant lines required or recommended? The existing
system is 26 years old, still working
no burned out compressor, etc. One company says they have to be
replaced, other I didn't talk with
on that specific subject, but their quote calls out flushing and re-
using the existing ones.

---------------

New refrigerant lines are wider now, like 1 1/8" and help greatly with
efficiency. I'm surprised the people that gave you quotes did not tell
you this. What is the length of the line??

New A/C units need larger diameter lines to reach their stated efficiencies.
The shorter your line, the more efficient it becomes too. The further from
the house or your blower/A coil the higher diameter line you would need.
That new line they want to give you might allow that new a/c they want to
install to run at stated capacity. Keeping the old lines might reduce that
capacity making your new unit run harder.

It'd be great too to get new insulation for those lines.