Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill47@yawho.com is offline

Default Power surges and modern electronics.

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:11:18 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

I am in Hawaii where power surges are unfortunately common. Having lost
several PC power supplies, I now use line conditioning battery backup units
to protect my PCs.
Several months ago I salvaged a Westington flat screen [LTV-32w6 HD] that
had been abandoned because the tuner failed. As the tuner is part of the
motherboard I didn't fix it was easier to use an external VCR as the tuner.
TV functions fine. I assume the tuner died in a power surge.
Yesterday, the power failed and I awoke to find that the TV had turned
itself on but no sound. Toggling mute and adding external speakers did not
work. I assumed the worst but guessed that maybe this was a microprocessor
locked into mute. I unplugged the set and tried again after 15 minutes.
Sound was restored. Whew!
I wonder how many consumers would be so lucky? Is this type of sensitivity
common? [I have a nice old 32inch CRT that has been immmune from these
problems and provides a great picture.] I'll probably add a line
conditioner, but, really, are consumers expected to be that cautious?

There are big differences between the 32" CRT and the 32 inch flat
panel. First, the CRT is the product of more than 50 years of
refinement. Comparitively speaking the flat screen is in it's
infancy.

Second, the CRT set is almost certainly primarily analog. The flat
screen has several processors, and is much more susceptible to
interference.

Third, most flat panel sets are put together out of crappy components,
especially the capacitors. While the power supply might have been
adequate when new, the caps have deteriorated and are allowing noise
from the SMPS onto the power supply rails.

PlainBill