Bay Area Dave

Default Who said Marples chisels are any good???

No they weren't mortising chisels. But they have a metal top, mentioned
on the package as being able to withstand mallet blows and the
"occasional" hammer blow! Besides, if I were to want to make a hinge
mortise, I can't believe I need to use a beefy mortising chisel instead
of a bench chisel.

dave

Joseph Crowe wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I just picked up 3 Marples protouch chisels, wasted my time to sharpen
the 3/8" one and then proceeded to put chisel to wood; namely red oak.
Before getting more than 4 sides of a mortise started the chisel's
edge was so nicked that I could see it without my reading glasses!
That's saying something. BTW, I sharpened it on 3 diamond stones and
then up to around 5k+ papers. I used the Lee Valley honing guide...

Just a couple of comments. Are these chisels actually mortising
chisels? If not, you might consider picking up a set of them for that
purpose. That said, you can get a special on a four chisel unpolished
Two Cherries bench chisel set in a wooden box for $75 at:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...ry_Code=TXQ1-2

I've got a Sears chisel, 3/4" that holds an edge for quite a while.
What's up with these Marples?

dave