Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Amount of lighting

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:20:31 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Haven't you gone back in, cut larger openings, and installed quad
boxes yet?

Yep, I'm going to have quite a few outlets: 4 quad, 2 duplex, and 3 220s.

I haven't done this yet, but most of the fixtures have punchouts in
the ends so you can run conduit between them. You could make just 2
runs of romex (plus a jumper from row 1 to 3, for a 12-fixture/3-row
setup) down a single rafter "hole", then run short THNN lengths
between the fixtures. 100' of romex and 3 100' rolls of THNN would
probably do it.

Took me a few minutes to figure that one out. The two runs are for 2
different (light) switches, right? Dern interesting design.. Saves not
only wire, but conduit, and junction boxes too I think!

On the other hand, the design may make trouble-shooting more difficult
than if there were a pull box at end of each luminaire run/row.
Do you agree?

I was thinking that you could run romex down from the top into the
hollow between joists, then out through a small hole in the pristine
ceiling drywall, into the starter fixture, then thnn to the next 3 in
the row.

Romex vertical from the panel, left over one cavity down to the two
switches, then back up over the door to the left, up to the running
board (IIRC you called it that) then down into the first or second
joist cavity and over to the hook up to first and third rows.
(This from memory of your shop layout.)

The second switch romex output would go to the center row, fixtures
connected by pvc conduit (cheaper/easier.)

Email your Sketchup file to me, will ya? (remove "invalid" to send)

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!