Juergen Hannappel

Default Who said Marples chisels are any good???

(Alan W) writes:

Dave,
If you want some SERIOUS chisels, drive on up to Alameda, and visit The

[...]

I've been looking at just buying a couple of chisels from Japan
Woodworker. My limited set of 1/4, 1/2, and 1" of cheap stanleys have
seen only use of the smaller two. And they are better suited to glue
line scraping than mortising.

What does one need to spend on individual chisels to get a good
mortising chisel? $30 $50 $150?

I have a 6mm mortising chisel from E.C. Emmerich (ECE) and am very
plaesed with it, although before the initial honing i had to re-grind
the bevel because it was slightly skewed, but 5 minutes on a coarse
cheap waterstone mended that. It cost me 23.50 EUR, including 16% VAT.

For "general" use i wouyld recommend cheap chinese HSS chisels as seen
he
http://www.dick-gmbh.com/shop/prodau...ChineseChisels
or (if you want really wide ones) he
http://www.dick-gmbh.com/shop/prodau...seBroadChisels

They take an edge very well, are very sturdy and keep their edge
exceptionally well. They look a bit strange (especially the broad
ones), so you are not going to impress someone by their exceptional
beauty, but they are extremely useful and handy. Wish i had a complete
et of them and also that smaller sizes (most narrow is 12.5mm) were
available.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23