Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Amount of lighting

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:33:37 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:43:32 -0500, wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
I bet you find
you've been making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I hope so. But, from my vantage point, the part about how to wire a
bunch of fixtures in parallel, properly, was a decent-sized mole hill!

Didn't you just wire outlets in parallel before putting in your
drywall? It's exactly the same but there is a switch between the
panel and fixtures.

I haven't put any of the outlets in the boxes yet as I'm waiting until I

Uno mas tip: Don't ever use the stab-in connection on the back of the
outlet, always use the screws. Stab-ins are a fire waiting to happen.

paint, but YES, you are absolutely right! I stopped to dwell on this
for longer than it shows here. I am very glad that you brought it up! I
will share with you that, while I understood what I needed to do
beforehand, I was not thinking in those terms as I nailed electrical
boxes up in rows and spanned lengths of romex between them. I'll be
using a pigtails instead of the (removable) connectors on my duplex
outlets to add additional devices...( big Duh).

I have no idea what that last sentence means, nor why it's in a
lighting thread, but you said "duplex".

Haven't you gone back in, cut larger openings, and installed quad
boxes yet? It's only half an hour and a couple bucks difference per
outlet site, but the convenience is worth its weight in gold. If not,
you'll spend more money just tacking up a power strip and plugging it
into one of the duplex outlets for all the extras you _will_ want to
go to that particular area. This is especially true around
workbenches and assembly areas.

As far as the light fixtures, I was thinking about using a good bit more
wire than I need to (with unnecessary trips back to the pull box at the
end of each row...). DUH, DUH, DUH!!!

I haven't done this yet, but most of the fixtures have punchouts in
the ends so you can run conduit between them. You could make just 2
runs of romex (plus a jumper from row 1 to 3, for a 12-fixture/3-row
setup) down a single rafter "hole", then run short THNN lengths
between the fixtures. 100' of romex and 3 100' rolls of THNN would
probably do it.

Say I wanted to run 2 circuits through the conduit, to steer clear of
"edison's problem". Would the NEC advise using a wire of a particular
color for the second common, or would it insist on separate conduits for
each circuit (probably...). The The idea of having 2 white wires
running through the conduit is clearly ridiculous!

I believe red is used for a secondary hot, as in 240v runs.

Thanks for helping to teach me a good lesson today!
By no means mole hill!

Which one did I teach you? Oh, parallel. Got it. Jewelcome.

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!