Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default laptop AC adapter tolerances

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:35:31 -0800, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

Any one know what approximate tolerances are on these things please?

I have a laptop without an adapter which takes a 19 volt 3.2 amp
adapter. I have a 20v 6.5 amp one and wonder how much damage it will do
to the laptop if I try to use it?

The unit does not have a battery to charge so this adapter will likely
be plugged in a lot of the time.

I've used a 90 watt 20 volt adapter on a laptop which requires 19 volts
at 55 watts for maybe 2 years now with no apparent damage. 1 volt isn't
likely to be an issue and the laptop will not consume more power than it
needs.