Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Screw Thread Gauges

On 2010-12-07, tnik wrote:

On 12/6/2010 12:09 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 12/06/2010 07:41 AM, Searcher7 wrote:
Can I get recommendations of which and how many screw thread
gauges(gages?) one should own to cover the most common threads one is
likely to run into? (Including metric, but I live in the U.S.).

There seems to be a lot of overlap between gauges and I just want to
get what I need.

The screw thread gauge that I use most often is a thin strip of polished
stainless. The strip is graduated on each edge, one edge being graduated
in 1/32 inch intervals, while the other edge is graduated in 1mm
intervals. For convenience, 1/16ths, 1/8ths, etc., are marked out on the
inch side, and centimeters are marked out on the metric side.

It works dandy for any thread pitch less than 6", although you sometimes
need a magnifying glass (our loupe) for finer threads.

* * * * How about something like the 27 TPI common for microphone
stands? *Pretty difficult to use with a rule graduated as you suggest.
Even with 64ths graduations (which you don't mention) you wind up with
2.3704 64ths -- and it is pretty difficult to distinguish from a 1 mm
thread (27 TPI winds up at 0.9407 mm).

For some reason, though, instead of being called a "universal thread
gauge" it's called a "ruler".

Hrmmm.. The way the OP thread reads to me is he is talking about
go/no-go gauges.. And with those, I would buy them as needed.

* * * * Having exchanged a lot of e-mails with him, as well as posting
exchanges here, I would be willing to bet that he is talking about a
thread pitch gauge. *A bunch of sawteeth folding out of a handle like
feeler gauges do.

Yes. That is what I was searching for.

I'll look for the No. 472 and the No 156m.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York