Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default DRO - Shooting star scales Q

RBnDFW wrote:
On 12/8/2010 2:40 PM, Snag wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
I have a Shooting Star DRO setup that someone has tried to mount to
a minilathe, so the long scale is cut down. I need to use it with my
millrite so need a longer scale. This uses a fine-tooth rack that
the encoder reads. Shooting Star wants $100 for a 48" length of
this rack, plus $35 shipping. Seems high, but maybe that's the going
price. Is there an alternate source that might be cheaper?

Followup - are there other scales that can be used with this head?
The cables terminate in RJ11 or RJ12 clips at the DRO readout head.

Rex

What protocol do the heads you have transmit ? Once you know that ,
we can determine what will work . F'r instance , the Chinese scales
sold by Shars mostly transmit 24 bit binary code , glass scales use
quadrature encoding ...
My cables are soldered to the contact pads on the PC board in the
reader head , because that was the most reliable ... BTW , I'm using
Chinese scales and a Shumatech DRO350 . --
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Snag, I have no idea what protocol they use.

--

I poked around a little , didn't find it with a google search . I can ask
if anyone over at the shumatech group knows if you'd like . Chances are that

--
Snag
Learning keeps