Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default OT Interesting remark.

On Dec 8, 7:38*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/7/2010 11:30 PM harry spake thus:

On Dec 8, 12:15 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/7/2010 10:44 AM DGDevin spake thus:

"harry" *wrote in message

BTW now the war in Afghanistan is coming to a close (ie another
*country the USA has completely f***d up)

Afghanistan has been a pit of strife as long as it has existed,
ask Alexander the Great, or the former British Empire, or the
former Soviet Union. *To depict it as a place the USA ****ed up
(we're all big kids here, you can spell it out) is really
reaching. *America is just the latest actor on that sad stage.

I'll buy that (your response), on the grounds that the wise,
prudent and long-range thing to do would to have never set foot in
that place in the first place.

But now, of course, Obama has made it *his* war. It's no longer
Bush's folly.

Well, he could hardly just walk away from it in all fairness.
Are you trying to transferr the blame for the Bush war to Obama now as
well as the Bush recession? * Short memory you Yanks have.

No, you blithering idiot.

Of course Obama didn't *start* the war in Afghanistan.

But once in office, he had a stark choice to make. He *chose* to
prosecute the war. He *greatly* increased the number of drone attacks,
both in Afghanistan and Pakistan (with the resulting increased civilian
casualties). So yes, it's now HIS war, not Bush's. And he deserves the
blame for the folly of continuing it. He wasn't forced to do so, the
blatherings of mainstream commentators aside.

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.- Hide quoted text -

The consequences of losing this war once started would be extremely
grave. Just pulling out was never an option.