Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Forging a wrench

On Dec 8, 10:13*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
I've used wrenches made of soft plastic. *What are you going to wrench
_on_?

You're right, of course. *I suppose the worst case would be removing
square head set screws. *As for square nuts, I see them used mostly with
screws, so the torque wouldn't be as much. *I don't foresee myself
putting square nuts on anything.

You could always make the wrench out of tool steel, then harden it.

Yeah, I have some O1 & most of the work is in the forging, the heat
treating would be easy enough.

Thanks,
Bob

On the old equipment I've bought if an open-end wrench wouldn't loosen
them it was time for Vise-Grips, then replace them with hex or Allen
heads. You can keep the originals for when you finally sell the
machine to an antique collector.

jsw