Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Worth it to have Economy 7?

On 08/12/2010 16:45, Ret. wrote:
Cynic wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:10:46 +0000, AlanG wrote:

It would probably be cheaper in the long term to get rid of E7 and
buy a mobile gas heater and a bottle of gas.
http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo..._Heater.ht ml

One such gas heater will heat an average living room perfectly
adequately. In a home that is unoccupied during working hours on week
days, a 15 Kg bottle will last about 2 weeks in midwinter (depending
on the room insulation).

A 15Kg re-fill costs a bit under £30 today. So you will be spending
about £60 per month to heat your living room.

My monthly gas direct debit payment, currently stands at £56.00 - and
that is for a 3-bed detached house, full central heating throughout,
abundant hot water and gas cooking. I'm also currently running a
positive balance at that payment and my supplier (Atlantic Gas and
Electricity) as a loyalty bonus, also refunds one month's gas and
electricity payments every November (nice for Christmas!).

As we are both retired, the central heating comes on at 6 am every
morning and stays on until 10 pm at night.

£60 per month to heat a single room, with additional costs for heating
water and cooking sounds horrendous!

Quite a lot less than the amount required to get a gas main to a house
though, and it would be winter only - yours is averaged over the year.
Cooking takes bugger all too - we get through a couple of 13kg bottles a
year.

(If we had mains gas, we'd use it. S'pose I could sneak over to the very
large gas main they installed over the road a couple of years ago -
reckon they'd notice? :-) )